Lodge Information & Policies
The Great Northern Railway built Glacier Park Lodge over a century ago. Situated on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, the hotel site was purchased from the Piegan, a tribe of the Blackfeet Nation. This site was in a settlement then known as Midvale. When the present railway depot was built in 1912, the area was renamed Glacier Park Station and then became known as East Glacier Park in 1950.
Often referred to as “Big Tree Lodge,” the immense timbers that support the Lodge were approximately 500 to 800 years old when they were cut and all of them retain their bark. There are a total of 60 timbers, 36 to 42 inches in diameter and 40 feet long. The timbers which support the lobby and verandas are Douglas fir from Washington State. Today, 162 rustic, yet comfortable guest rooms can accommodate over 500 people.